Saturday, February 05, 2022

I'M READY FOR SPRING & SO ARE THE DONKEYS.....

Our mornings lately have been pretty chilly.  So far the coldest morning was 11 degrees out here in the San Pedro River valley. But the days are sunny even if the temperatures don't get above 60 degrees, so we have the illusion of warmth.  The forecast is for another week of below normal temperatures.  😒

John checks the donkeys each morning to see if anyone is shivering or trying to stand in a compressed ball to keep warm.  So far even the old guys are doing OK.  I won't blanket unless they really need it, don't want to interfere with their natural ability to take care of themselves.  This morning LaRoy especially was all fluffed out, he looked like he had stuck his hoof in a light socket.......!!! LOL The first morning we had a pipe break in the garage, which flooded the floor.  But for the most part, no insurmountable problems so far although breaking ice on the water buckets is becoming a daily task. 

Our volunteers are still coming out even if it is cold.  I must say though none of us are rushing out early, so chores are getting done a little later than usual.  Unfortunately, some of the donkeys have figured out that they don't need to show up at regular time, because we're not in a hurry to start chores without sun. So morning roundup is rather disorganized, of course part of the problem is they come into the house/pen area where the sun comes up.  Once they find a nice spot with the perception of warmth, they don't want to move.  Bribery cookies don't work with everyone, so John gets the ones he can and the others will finally mosey towards their pens.  

Renee was out today, and shared some pictures of the donkeys she took when she was grooming.  

Renee and Beefy


Little Sasha


Renee's "little man" Siggy....he is her running buddy when there is a race to be ran


Mamacita and Renee


I'm not sure who this is, I have a feeling it might be Boaz


BlackJack


She even took a picture of Charley

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES RENEE......!!

   Suzanne was planning on heading home this morning but the roads in Indiana were iced over.  She is hoping to leave tomorrow morning if they get the roads cleared.  


6 comments:

ellie k said...

I know Suzanne will be happy to get out of the cold and snow. It is pretty cool here in Florida now too. The pictures were good and I think everyone wanted to work an animal cracker out of her.

Tish said...

It looks like Suzanne and her mother will be getting in tonight. They have been enjoying the sun as they headed southwest.

ellie k said...

I hope by now Suzanne is safe back. Her Mother will enjoy the warm weather I think. It is good for our old bones (77). It is so much easier when you can take care of your parents. Mine have passed on but I made at least three trips to Ohio from Florida to see them every year and spent many summers there. We went every Christmas and it was so nice to start south knowing every stop would probably be a little warmer. Winter coats to t shirts when we arrived home.

ellie k said...

Did Suzanne get in?

Tish said...

Yes they got in as planned and have been enjoying our wonderful warm sunny weather. Looks like I've gotten really behind on my blog. Not much going on except catching up, which is keeping us pretty busy I guess. We're also having quite a few tours almost every day. My camera decided to quit, and I haven't figured out what to replace it with. The new ones have too many moving parts for me...........LOL Last my computer quit I bought a used one just like it off the internet and it lasted a few years. Maybe I'll do that again, that way I don't have to learn to things.....!!!

ellie k said...

Thanks, I am so glad Suzanne is home, roads have been so bad in some northern states. Blog when you can, I know how much work there is to keep up and time is limited. If you are like me energy is limited also.