Monday, November 30, 2020

THIS IS A VERY SAD MORNING AT FOREVER HOME

 You can't imagine how hard it is for me to write this.  We all had such high hopes for Macho Man to recover from his surgery, and be able to not have to deal with a pendulous sheath as he had for years.  

Unfortunately that was not meant to be, this morning he crossed the Rainbow Bridge surrounded by all of us that would have done anything to change the outcome.  

He hadn't been interested in eating or drinking since we picked him up Friday, so we had been closely watching him.  Everything seemed to be working as it should, he had been pooing and peeing.  At 23 he wasn't a youngster, but donkeys can live 40-50 years.  

Our best guess is he had a heart attack.  He was a loner from being alone for years.  And he wasn't a fan of being fussed with and "made" over.  So perhaps putting him in a trailer and hauling him to the clinic, going thru the surgery, hauling him home and all that fussing and hands on was just too much for him.  We'll never know for sure, but in hindsight maybe a pendulous sheath wasn't so bad after all.  

In rescue you aren't suppose to have favorites, but I've always had an affinity for the old guys.  Most of them have gone thru a lot to get to that place in their lives, and our goal has always been to give them the best final home we can.  This is not the outcome we hoped for, and I'm sure in the future other hard decisions will have to be made.  Their lives are in our hands, and  we can only hope and pray to make the right one.



9 comments:

susan said...

RIP sweet boy. It is so very hard to say goodbye, no matter how young or old they are

ellie k said...

Breaks my heart to read this. You know I follow your ups and down almost daily. This brought tears to my eyes. At least the pain is gone and he had a short time of being treated so special. Bless you all for giving him a good life while you had him. I am sorry for you all.

Tish said...

Thank you, I wish he would have had a chance to enjoy more time around people that thought he was special. Of course they all are special, no matter how many we have.

Sue S. said...

This must be so hard for all of you. Sorry to hear this sad news, you were doing what you thought was best for Macho Man.

Delrene said...

I N am so so sorry. He went through a lot and we all hoped he’d feel better. Rest In Peace sweet boy. You were loved.

Tish said...

Thank you.......!!!

Witcheylady said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Tish. I know you & John go far & beyond good care of these sweet donkeys. RIP dear Macho Man. Hugs to you & John and all your wonderful helpers.

Tish said...

Dr. Howard called this morning and left a message, I didn't get a chance to talk to him. He said he has no idea what happened, nor do I and said he will call later. My local vet offered to do a field necropsy, but I declined, it would have been nice to know, but I don't think any of us wanted to go thru it.

Steph said...

Oh, that sucks. He was such a handsome man. RIP Macho Man, may you run in peace.