Monday, April 16, 2012

 VISITING HOURS

We're getting into a routine of sorts.  I was going to change Jenny's bandage yesterday, but the instructions said 4 to 5 days.  Yesterday would have been 3 days & tomorrow is 5.  I'm not looking forward to doing her bandage.  First I have to figure out how to get the old bandage off without hurting her.  It's a mixture of gauze pads, brown gauze wrap, diaper, elastikon, & duct tape.  Pretty much impermeable, hope my scissors are sharp enough to cut & not gnaw......!!!  

Have to get it off, & get the hoof covered up without getting dirt in it.  SIGH!  I hope John on the other end with pets & animal crackers will help.  They didn't tell me what to do if it got dirt in it, so I need to be careful.  I was going to try to take a picture, but for this first time I think I better just unwrap & wrap.

She's doing real good, has settled down & isn't trying to get out.  Of course she expects a treat anytime you go for a "visit".  

She has bed sores on her hips & places in her armpits that are raw from her feet when she lays down.  The clinic had been spraying the places with Alu-Shield which is nothing more than a liquid silver bandage.  I went thru my shelves of assorted medical "stuff", & decided to try Underwood Horse Medicine.  I forget why I got it, someone on the Donkey Yahoo Group recommended it a couple of years ago.  Last night they were raw, this morning they look much better, so I just ordered some more. 

This is going to be a busy week.  After today every day is going to be busier than the one before.  John has 2 jeep tours Wednesday & I have a tour of 20 people coming out to visit the donkeys.  I called Georgette to see if she could come out & help with the tour.  It's a sneaky way of having her come out for a visit, I don't think she's been here since the open house in December.

Friday John gets his angiogram & I'm suppose to race Saturday night.  Our son & grandson will be there with their cars, along with friends that have already said they will help.  John has been told he can't do anything, or we'll send him home.  I guess they plug the opening in the groin with glue & you have to be careful to not unplug it.  It's in the femoral artery, which is "REALLY" important.....!!!! LOL


5 comments:

Witcheylady said...

Do you think Jenny will stand on a clean old sheet while you change her bandage?
Cute pic of the visitors....donkeys are so funny!
Hope John's angiogram comes back okay. Will be thinking of him on Friday.

Tish said...

I think we're going to try plywood, a lot depends on her level of cooperation, which can be a problem. I need a good nurse that knows how to bandage......!!! Any takers? LOL

ellie k said...

I think a dark sheet or cloth that matches the ground so it don't upset her would be good to have her stand on to pritect the foot from dirt.

Tish said...

We used a white sheet this morning & it didn't bother her, nor did it improve her cooperation, I'm sorry to say. LOL

qifei2012 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.