Monday, April 09, 2012

FRIDAY????

 
The vet called back before I went out to do chores.  Jenny had just gotten up on her own about 5 minutes before, but this morning she needed help to get up.  

The vet asked if we had any help, & I told her it was just us.  We talked some more & I finally said at this stage a few more days isn't going to make that much of a difference to us, but might make a lot to Jenny.  So I said we'd see how it went for the next few days & plan on picking her up Friday.  I could almost hear the relief in the vet's voice, so I would imagine she was hoping we'd not want to pick her up ASAP.  

Hopefully she will have a good week.  I guess her foot is doing great, at least that's good news.  They will show me how to bandage it when we get up there.  I doubt that they realize how rough our ground is, hopefully the bandage can be strong enough to hold up.  I've made bandages out of duct tape before & they will last about 24 hours.  I'm still thinking about the hoof covering made out of the same stuff they make casts out of, at least I think it's the same stuff.  I'll take the web-site info when we go to pick Jenny up & see what they think. 

5 comments:

Witcheylady said...

I guess a light bandage & a boot won't work, huh?

Tish said...

I won't know until I get there. They are using elastikon inside, diaper & duct tape outside. I talked to the vet this morning & she wasn't familiar with Equisocks, but brought it up on the computer while we were talking. We'll just have to see I guess.

DesertHorses said...

After you duct tape your bandage, make a "sole" out of a plastic coffee can lid or something similar and duct tape that on - it will at least extend the life of things.
Another thought is a bottle (bleach, detergent, water or whatever) that will have a flat bottom then cut the rest so you have a strip going up the back (or tabs up both sides) of the leg - so would look a little like a "splint".
Other "sole" material - old hospital water pitcher. Pieces of the "rope buckets" you use for hay/water that are too beat up to be useful.
There's always your old leg immobilizer (probably too tall for this).
You need stock in 3M.

Tish said...

Thanks Patti, now if I could just find some coffee can lids. LOL I'm a tea person you know. I do have some old rope buckets. I'll check around & see what else I can find. Also thought about one of the soft boots like the Hoof Wrap, Deluxe Equine Slipper, or the Hoof Sock. The problem with them is the rough ground out here, for the price they might not last very long.

qifei2012 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.