Saturday, June 21, 2008

SHAG...........RIP, little friend..............!!!

This has got to be one of the worst days in my life. This afternoon while everyone was waiting around for supper to begin, they started picking at each other, running & rearing, kicking out & in general having fun playing. I came in to tell John how weird it looked to see Max, at 17 hands & Shag as about 33 inches playing & kicking out at each other. Went back out within about 30 seconds & Shag was standing with his right rear leg dangling. This leg had some problems & we had planned on getting someone out to work on adjusting it. I called the vet & she got here fairly quick. She could tell it was broke before she even got out of the truck. Even though it was the only thing we could do, making the decision to euthanize is so difficult. The vet showed us where the break was, right above the hock, what would be our thigh bone. She couldn't find any marks or anything that would point to one of the other animals kicking him, which gives me a certain amount of piece of mind. Since he was club footed & somewhat crippled, perhaps he lost his balance in all the rearing, kicking & running around that was going on. We'll never know, but I wish things had been different. Pepsi is in with the minis, & should get along OK.

4 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

I am so sorry for this unexpected loss.

the7msn said...

Tish, I'm so very sorry. You are in our thoughts and prayers today.

Tish said...

Thank you, I don't think I've ever felt so bad about anything. To see him playing & having so much fun & within 30 seconds looking at him & knowing his life was over, was absolutely devastating for both of us. He was such a cute little guy & had already become part of the herd. Making the call to his former owner was really difficult. She was very gracious & non judgemental, but even though I know it was an accident, I'm sure she wishes she hadn't had them come out here.

PaintedPromise said...

it's never easy. but once something like that happens, taking care of the pain quickly is the best thing you can do. and you did it. rest easy my friend!!!