Thursday, August 11, 2022

UPDATE ON ROPER

 Roper's surgery on his tumor went very well they said.  BUT, Dr. Howard is pretty sure it is cancerous.  It has been sent off for testing to make sure and hopefully to find out what kind.  Dr. Howard took as much surrounding tissue as he could and also put chemo drugs in the area.

As soon as he got back to his stall, he started looking for something to eat, typical behavior for a donkey.  We were going to pick him up today, but we had a horrible rain storm about 3am last night.  Since we were having sheetrock delivered today, I called and asked if Roper could recuperate at the clinic another day and we'll pick him up tomorrow.  The sheetrock guys will be here Saturday, so we wanted to make sure the sheetrock was under shelter until then.  

Had a man named Randy call this morning wanting to know about volunteering and offered to come out and help with getting ready for the sheetrock delivery.  The sheetrock was supposed to be here after noon sometime.  Randy stayed until about 3pm and had to leave.  About 15 minutes later the sheetrock showed up........!! LOL Suzanne and John didn't have much to do except put the spacers under the sheetrock and then get the trailer in the shed in case it rains. Judging from the clouds in the background that might happen, although the sun is shining now.  


That is 44 sheets of plywood, believe it or not.  I remember sheetrock from when I was a kid, it was a lot thicker and heavier.  

We've ordered the flooring, although the walls will have to be painted before the flooring is installed.  We're going to try to do the floor ourselves.  Should be interesting, I know if I get down, I'll have to find something to pull myself up with, or wait for someone to come and get me up........!!!  LOL

This morning I finally got a chance to clean Kris' sheath, it's swollen and has open sores on it from habronema larvae.  I'm been doctoring him every morning since he got here, in a rather hit and miss way, because of a lack of time.  At first he was OK with touchy/feely, and every day less touchy/feely and more squirming and jumping.  Yesterday he resorted to kicking in my general vicinity, which isn't something I enjoy.  This morning he was a little more insistent with his kicking although he never aimed for me.  I decide it was time to introduce him to our "redneck" squeeze.  It is an extra corral panel, attached to one end of a standing corral panel.  They go in it, and you close the extra panel on them, so hopefully they can't get good aim at your arm or break your arm with a direct hit.  

He started out with attitude, which didn't make me happy.  Suzanne was on the front end, when he kicked I punched him a couple of times.  When he didn't kick, Suzanne stuffed a piece of carrot in his mouth.  Didn't take but about 5 or 6 times for him to figure out, kicking......bad, not kicking.....good............!!! He let Suzanne take pictures and let me finish.  Wonder what he will do tomorrow morning, we have to go up to Gilbert and pick up Roper, so I might not have time to "duck and dance", hopefully he will remember all those carrot pieces............!! LOL

Suzanne hasn't shared her pictures yet, but the sores look better than I thought they would.  There's a few habronema larvae attached, I covered them with wormer, which usually kills them pretty quick.  Hopefully if I can get rid of them, he'll have a chance to heal quickly, although right now the flies are pretty bad, because of the rain and accompanying humidity.  High temperatures are OK, but the humidity is miserable.  Us desert rats aren't fans of humidity especially day after day.........!!!  



No comments: