Saturday, September 14, 2019

COOLER DAYS..............YAY......!!

The last couple of days have raised the hope that fall is just around the corner.  The nights are cool enough we are opening the windows rather than use the Fujitsu.  Although our house is very energy efficient and we have no heating or cooling except for a little wood stove and some overhead fans.  

When my mother came to live with us there was no way we could keep her warm enough or cool enough without "real" climate control, in her bedroom, so we had one of the small ductless units made by Fujitsu put in.

I had my doubts about that little thing hanging on the wall, being able to keep the room comfortable for her, but I had to admit, it really did the job.

After she died, we moved back into what had been our bedroom and at first we didn't use the unit at all.  Then we started using it during the monsoon when the nights were really humid and the temperature wouldn't drop, just because it was there.

Didn't take long for us to get in the groove of sleeping in a controlled climate, summer or winter......LOL  We both would rather sleep with the windows open, BUT, obviously we aren't opposed to a little help from Fujitsu...........LOL

Yesterday there was nobody here in the afternoon, so when John and I left we closed the driveway gate, that has been open for days so the cows could come in and hopefully eat some mesquite beans.  We got back before Suzanne and when we pulled in the driveway, the first thing we noticed was a big black Angus cow inside the gate.  She was looking at us like, "who closed this gate".  We had no idea there was a cow in here when we left.  I hope she ate lots of beans while we were gone.

 We have noticed there aren't very many beans still in the trees, which is a good thing.  Unfortunately the ground is still covered with beans than aren't changing color very quickly.  Still haven't had enough rain to help break down the beans, so we're just in a waiting pattern for the foreseeable future.  I really hope by the time the donkeys return from Colorado in less than 3 weeks, the beans are no longer a problem, but I have my doubts, unless we get a lot of rain. 

We were suppose to take the new race car to the track last night for practice.  Since I hadn't driven it except around the driveway, we thought it might be a good idea to take it out on the main road and actually run it at speed. 

Good thing we did.  I took off and John was suppose to follow me in the pickup but never saw John.  Not too long into my run, it started pushing steam out of the overflow tube.  It never got hot, but obviously something wasn't right.  When I got on the straight run to the bridge, I wanted to see what it would do.  The speedometer doesn't work, which is one reason John was suppose to be with me, so we'd know how fast it was going.  It started cutting out and wouldn't run at high speed.  It was still steaming, so I went past the bridge to find a place to turn around. 

Came home, and John is nowhere to be found, so I decided he must have went north.  Sat out by the road to wait for him and he finally showed up.  He said he never saw me either, that he knew I went towards the bridge, but when he got to the bridge and didn't see me, he turned around and thought I'd went north instead.  No, I was past the bridge and around a curve waiting for him...........LOL

I told him about my problems and he thinks the fans aren't coming on soon enough, so he's going to hard wire them to come on with the ignition.  He also thinks what I thought was cutting out, probably is the rev limiter.  Most modern cars have limiters so you won't blow the motor by running it too hard.  I've never ran a car with a rev limiter, so I don't know how they act. 

I am suppose to race tonight, although it looks like it might rain.  We only have 3 more races this season. 

John and I will be leaving Tuesday for a family reunion in Indiana, not sure how long we'll be gone, we are driving.  Road trips are half the fun of going somewhere....!!!  LOL  Suzanne will take care of things, hopefully it won't be like the last time, when the roof leaked.  We are hoping for no problems for her, at least she won't have to round up the donkeys twice a day, since they are staying in their pens.

The excitement is building for the pack burro cross race in Superior the 12th of October.  Twenty per cent of the runners are coming from out of the state.  Suzanne, Lynn and Linda will be up there to help with last minute details for a couple of days prior, John and I will go up the day of the race.



 Levi and his new best friend Amy at the Victor pack burro race in Colorado


 Levi getting some nourishment for the race


No comments: