Saturday, January 05, 2013


Unfortunately Diega will not be coming to stay with us after all.  Her x-rays are really bad.  I don't know a whole lot about all the nuances of reading x-rays of the interior of hooves, but even I was shocked when I saw this.  


This is not a hoof that can be rehabilitated, & the other one looks about the same.  I have had 3 farriers/trimmers look at the x-rays & they are all in agreement that there is nothing that can be done to help these feet long term.  She's only 2 1/2 years old & would continue growing & gaining weight for a couple more years.  Those feet don't need more weight to carry.

So sad, I was told Diega & her mother came into Hacienda de los Milagros from a home that not only allowed feet like this to exist, but they were both very emaciated.  Nothing was done at Milagros except to turn her out to walk around I guess.  She has never had a chance.........!!! What is so frustrating, if she was born with "funny" feet a few weeks of splints could have made all the difference in the world.  Sometimes the best thing we can do is to set them free from pain, I hope her caretakers will do this last thing for her. 

4 comments:

The Dancing Donkey said...

I was kinda afraid of this when I saw the photo you posted the other day. I have never seen a good outcome when feet get this bad. Such a waste. I hope these people do the right thing now.

Tish said...

Me too....!!

The Three Muleteers said...

Ouch they're extremely awful X-Rays, let's hope that the owners are sensible and do the right thing..

Witcheylady said...

So incredibly sad that people allow this to happen. I hope these folks are kind enough to euthanize her.
Just breaks my heart!