Sunday, May 20, 2012



Looks like Tucker & Mocha might have a forever home in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  We are in the early stages of adoption, but it sound like this might be a good home for them.  Next step will be for us to do a home study, so we'll do a day trip over, have lunch & should make it home before time to feed. 

Eeyore will be going to the vet tomorrow morning, he's still not interested in eating anything.  We even tried syringing soaked hay soup into him last night & he just wasn't interested.  John discovered a lump underneath his throatlatch area, probably thyroid, at least that's my "don't know what I'm talking about" guess.  Enlarged thyroid isn't unusual for older equine, I doubt that is his problem. 

Everyone else right now seem to be doing great.  In fact I'm having to put Pepper on a diet.  The old buzzard is getting almost chubby.........!!!  Hasn't been down, not able to get up for quite awhile, but he doesn't need to be carrying anymore weight on his poor old legs than necessary.  About 3 years ago, I wouldn't have bet he'd make it thru the winter.  Every morning when I went out I was surprised he was still breathing.  That year he had to stay in at night, he was so thin & frail, he was blanketed & wore boots every night.  But somewhere along the way, he's done a turn around, still perky & still chasing the girls, BUT getting less to eat these days.  John is getting tired of him using his hard old head to try to get you out of the way so he can get to his mush though.  Also digging a hole at the gate as he waits impatiently for you to bring his mush.  I've told him if I fall in the hole he's dug & break a leg, he'll be sorry.  Unfortunately I don't think he cares.........!!! LOL  John put a stall mat at the gate, so now he's digging at the edge of the mat...........grrrrrr....!!! 

We changed Jenny's foot bandage this morning.  It's looking good, but I don't see a whole lot of hoof growth above the open area.  I've never dealt with a hoof resection before, so don't really know how it heals.  The only problem she has is one of her heel bulbs just won't heal.  They were icky when she came home from bandage pressure.  I managed to get one side to heal, but the other one is really being difficult. 

Courtney is going to try to get out this week to trim Jenny & Gus & whoever else needs it.  I noticed this morning Jenny has a false sole on her other rear hoof, at least that's what it looked like, didn't have much of a chance to look at it.  I don't know if she can stand on her "bad" foot long enough for Courtney to work on that sole, but guess we'll find out. 

No comments: