Wednesday, August 24, 2011

BURROLAND IS CLOSED FOR BUSINESS...........!!

As of this morning Burroland is officially closed until the monsoon & mesquite bean season is over. 

Last night John asked if I had felt the minis crest's lately.  No, I spend most of my time trying to keep my balance on crutches, if I can't find some place to sit down.  Besides I've been pretty careful about getting real close to even the ones that don't spook.  I don't want to mess up my doctor's appointment next Monday.

I guess they are getting pretty big & hard.  I would imagine the others are about the same, at least the sugar/starch dependent ones...............soooooo.......... the party is over.........!!!!!!  When John let them out this morning, they all marched over to the gate & just stood there, waiting for him to come to his senses, I guess.  

It won't take them long to glean the 10 acres, although a lot of the mesquite are blooming again, so we'll probably have a late crop of beans for them to enjoy.

This afternoon John is going to open the 2 outside gates to Burroland, so the cows can go in.  He will also put out some loose salt, especially at the gates to encourage the cows to go where they aren't use to going.  It usually takes them a few days to find the open gates, but after that it doesn't take them long to clean up the beans.  

The University called again yesterday to tell me the fetus had hair & Louise had milk in her mammeries.  I had no idea what that meant, so got on the internet donkey group I belong to.  The concensus was the foal was at least 10 months, & probably Louise was within a month of delivering.  
So I have dug out a foaling book someone gave me that I never thought I'd use & will try to get myself prepared.  I would assume the other 2 probably got PG about the same time, although neither of them look PG, but neither did Louise.  



I know it would be better to have 2 little babies so they could grow up together, but Mocha is only a little over 2 years old herself, so I really hope she isn't PG.  John is already in a panic, not sure he will be much help.  I know they have babies all the time, but we certainly don't want anything to go wrong if we can help it. 


No comments: