Friday, August 28, 2009

This morning Daisy & Quilla were standing nose to tail so I'm not sure what happened yesterday. I still wish I'd had a camera when she flung that rock, that is one of the funniest things I've ever seen a donkey do. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it sure looked like she was trying to throw a rock at Quilla.

Tonight I unwrapped his legs & they are really looking good, although the bandages stuck in a few areas which bled when they came loose. I left them unwrapped until morning. I try to bandage & leave them alone for 2-3 days, which hopefully gives the sores time to heal & get some new tissue growth. I'm not bandaging the rear legs at all right now, I'm just keeping them covered with thunja zinc oxide, which heals & keeps the flies away.

Everyone else seems to be doing pretty good right now, they really are enjoying this year's hay. Sha'ba is eating almost a pound every night, which is great. For awhile he wasn't eating any hay at all, just his mush. Pepper is eating 3 1/2 pounds of hay a day plus his mush. He's still thin but not as thin as he was last winter & spring. Tonight when John was rounding everyone up, Pepper went in Buddy's pen & just stood there. That was his pen for years, but about 2 years ago, we moved him & started feeding Buddy by himself in there. If equines get Alzheimer's I sometimes wonder if Pepper has it. He will be walking to his pen, & all of a sudden change directions. Or act like he doesn't know where his feed bucket is. John got the halter, put it on him, led him out of the pen, & it was like, "Oh! I belong over there". John said he took off at a pretty rapid rate for him, & when he got to his pen, went in turned around, & looked at John like "where's the carrot?". Again maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I love to watch them & try to figure out what they are thinking.

No comments: