Thursday, March 31, 2011

SOME DAYS YOU JUST WANT TO PULL UP THE COVERS & HIDE

RIP Noelle
This morning when we went out to feed Noelle didn't show up which is unusual.  She's always been good about coming in at feeding time, going into her pen & waiting for her carrot.  

After everyone was fed John went to look for her.  He found her dead laying in the big wash that runs across the property.  She had been walking along the bank & it caved in.  There was no struggle at all, I would imagine it broke her neck.  

She had just started to interact with the other donkeys.  When she first came, she didn't like anyone, then she started hanging with the mules.  She had been a companion for a horse for years.  But just in the last few days she had been showing more interest in the donkeys.  I would imagine she was with the herd, & they were on their way to their next special spot & she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  

She had only been here a little while, but they all become special so quickly.  We got such a kick out of her not eating hay unless there was some alfalfa in it.  John finally "weaned" her to straight bermuda, but it was a challenge.  

She was grumpy & opinionated, would not cooperate unless there was a treat involved. But she "allowed" me to scratch her withers, & although she tried to act like she didn't like it..........she did.    I'm sure if we had more time, she would have mellowed, we just didn't have enough time. 

7 comments:

DonnaB said...

So sorry to read this, I know it made me sad, I can only imagine your feelings.

Witcheylady said...

Oh Tish!!!
I'm so sorry....my heart goes out to you & John...
Claire

Tish said...

I know there isn't anything we could have done, but I still play "what if". If we had left her in her pen it wouldn't have happened. But she enjoyed going out, so I guess we just do the best we can & hope it turns out good. In this case it went wrong. She was a good girl & I think she was starting to enjoy her new lifestyle.

susan said...

So sorry - I know how much this hurts. At least she got to enjoy being a donkey and being cared for. Hugs to both of you.

Morning Bray Farm said...

Oh, Tish! I'm so very, very sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how much you're hurting.

Sending you many, many hugs and keeping you in our thoughts.

PaintedPromise said...

i am SURE she loved going out and so you have to remember that you made her life fun at the end... i always say that about a horse accident, if i die riding at least i died doing what i loved... so, that is what Noelle did!

Tish said...

Just wish she could have enjoyed it longer. BTW went in & saw your foal video, what a bunch of cuties. Maybe someday we'll have a little one around here, who knows.