Tuesday, March 22, 2011

NEW GUY TOMORROW.........!!!!!

We'll be getting a new herd member tomorrow.  He's a little fluffy, not bad & has a little trouble with his feet, but I'm sure Courtney will get that straightened out in no time.  

We are still doctoring Noelle's eye.  I had been wondering why her eye was watering so bad some mornings.  The whole side of her cheek would be soaking wet.  This morning I "caught" her rubbing & gouging her eye on the edge of the hay bunk hanging in her pen.  So John had to move the bunk out, of course it is the heaviest one we have.  It's homemade & whoever made it used sheet metal that is over 1/4 inch thick.  I keep telling him all this is good for building muscle, but he just gives me dirty looks......!!!!  I don't think he believes me.  

She is actually getting a little more cooperative, not "stand still & let us do whatever we want" cooperative.  But at least she isn't vigorously jerking her head around & we haven't had to tie her for a few days.  

Cisco & Daisy came in this morning with cactus spines in their faces.  Cisco has always been our little cactus eater.  He will dig it up & eat it from the root end, although I have seen him eat from the top too.  I took this picture a few years ago of him & Shiloh snacking away.  This is why we have very little cactus left on the property.  



2 comments:

Morning Bray Farm said...

Hope you had a great trip! Can't wait to meet the new guy. :)

Holy moly. Cactus as in prickly pear cactus? Those crazy kids.

Tish said...

Good trip & a great little guy, he's a real sweetheart.

Yes cactus as in prickly pear, I've heard that it is high in vitamin C at certain times of the year. It might be, they don't eat it all the time, so maybe they just eat it when they need to.