Tuesday, May 10, 2011

 THE GOOD OLD DAYS

My Mother bless her heart loves to cook with celery, but will only use 1 or 2 stalks & then gives it to me to use.  I always have celery in the frig, so it's a little bit of an overload when she "shares".  A few days ago she gave me a package with 2 bunches in it.  I've known for a long time that celery is a great snack for equines especially the ones that shouldn't have sugar.  So last night everyone got a 1/2 stalk of celery in their food pan to see how they would like it. 

Seemed to be a big hit with everyone except Pepsi, BlackJack & Rusty the white mule.  BlackJack doesn't eat apples, citrus or anything that might be healthy.  He was raised with a little boy & prefers, french fries, pizza.....you know things a kid would share.........!!!!!  (G)  

Unfortunately Quilla must have swallowed his piece because he choked.  Celery wouldn't break up like pellets or mush would, so this could have really been a crisis.   I watched him for 1/2 hour or so, & he didn't seem to be stressed, just wasn't eating, & laid down in one of the dirt bathing areas.  Called the vet, & you can imagine what her first questions was............"why were you feeding them celery?"  That's isn't the first thing I've done that she's "wondered" about, & I would imagine it won't be the last.  

We agreed that a shot of banamine would be a good idea & she said to call her in half an hour to report.  The second time I checked on him, he was up & eating hay..........!!!!  If my hair wasn't already gray, these guys would make it so. 

No comments: