Saturday, October 16, 2010

BRINGING CIVILIZATION TO COLORADO




If you would like a great fun read about donkeys, this is the book for you.  Although it is about how donkeys helped populate & "tame" Colorado, it has also got a lot of other great information about donkeys.  I read it & am ready for a sequel.  The link is to Amazon.com where it is available.  

This morning I had to wrap Quilla's front legs.  For the last 3 days I had been using Underwood Horse Medicine on his legs.  I don't know if I needed to do it different or what, but his legs broke out more than they have all summer, when I was using sunscreen & leggings to keep the sun off his legs.  He has smaller areas on both hind legs & they seem to be doing fine with the Horse Medicine, so maybe the area is too large.  Anyway, I put some honey on disposable diapers & vet wrapped him up.  I'll leave it on for a couple of days, & if it does what it did last time, his legs will be completely healed.  Honey is a wonderful medicine, & was used quite a bit until antibiotics came along.  

When I started he was eating, which is usually a good time to "do" stuff to them.  I got the diaper with honey stuck to his leg & started to wrap brown gauze around to hold it until I could get the vet wrap on it.  Well, he decided that he didn't want to stand & eat, while I doctored his legs, & started to wander off.  Not like, "Oh, I have to get out of here, she is going to kill me", more like "It's my legs & I choose not to have that woman  mess with them".  I had one of my 5 second explosions complete with a couple of thumps on his neck just for emphasis.  He did not move a muscle until I was done, it was funny, they usually don't "listen" that good.  Lately because of his rattlesnake bite, & subsequent hospitalization, he has been treated like royalty, so I'm sure he wasn't expecting such rude behavior on my part. 

1 comment:

prahalad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.