Sunday, April 13, 2008

THE HAY HAS ARRIVED..................!!!





Happiness is a full barn.............!!!! Our hay saga started a couple of weeks ago, with truck problems & promises of delivery & yesterday ended up "the day". But not without drama, truck left California late, had a flat, fixed flat, squeeze was waiting in Benson, & we had someplace we needed to be by 5pm. Truck got here at 5:35pm.........!!! John had already left, so I watched them drop the 1st of 8 squeezes & hit the road. Got in late, & it was great to see all those bales of hay resting in the barn. I got home first last night & started letting everyone out. We had a tour yesterday morning, & since we were going to feed early last night, they stayed in ALL day LONG........!!!! While they appreciated all the hand feeding by the visitors, once they were gone, it was time to go OUT........... or start complaining. And complain they did, right up till we started feeding. It doesn't do any good to tell them how lucky they are to be able to run on Burroland, rather than stay in a little pen all the time. But occasionally there will be a change in plans & they will have to stay in.

Yesterday afternoon Jack the mule started "woo-wooing". I didn't really pay much attention, his was just one voice among many, complaining their mistreatment. I went out to fill water buckets, & as I was coming out of Rusty's pen, a big red horse almost ran me down. Max had let himself out of his pen, & was upset that there wasn't anybody else out. And Jack was upset because Max was out & he wasn't. I swear Max hung his head, like "MY BAD" & followed me to his pen.

When I let everyone out, they followed the path of the truck & squeeze, picking up the hay that was dropped. I guess they watched from their pens & knew where they were going, if we ever came to our senses & let them out..........!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you had a nice experience with jack...

sponsorahorse.org

Tish said...

Were you talking about Max the big red horse? He's the horse that was out, Jack was the mule that was woo-wooing because Max had gotten out. They are so much fun to watch & interact with, you can almost see their minds working. I'm sure Max was very proud of himself, when he let himself out. But once he realized he was the only one out, it upset him, until he saw me & ran to me to "fix" it. I did by putting him back in his pen. I'm sure that wasn't how he wanted it fixed.............!!!

PaintedPromise said...

aahhh, the full hay barn. right where all the critters want to go :)

Tish said...

Wonder what the price for hay will be in the coming months? It's not going down, I bet.............!!!