Tuesday, July 17, 2012



Just got back in the house from rolling Pepper over so he could get up.  The neighbor called & had just noticed him down.  This is the 2nd time in 3 days we've had to get him up, not sure what's going on.  He went for months without getting down on his right side.  It's really humid right now & he was pretty wore out, but finally managed to get up.  We let him rest for a few minutes & then headed back for the house.  Along the way he found some mesquite beans to build up his strength I guess.  At least if he doesn't come in for feeding, we'll know what direction to go to find him, we left him happily munching beans.

Actually the beans are about gone, we didn't have as many as we usually have, for some reason.  Too cold or too hot at the wrong time I guess.  It looks like we won't have to let the range cattle into Burroland this year, unless of course the mesquite set a 2nd crop of beans, which they are quite capable of doing.  

I might be a little quiet for awhile.  Mother is now living with us, & it looks like we already have a buyer for her house.  So we will have to get the house ready.  That means the 3 pile rule, pile to keep, pile to sell or give away, pile to throw away.  Mother is not as much of a hoarder as I am, but she has enough "STUFF" to keep us busy for awhile.  Once we figure out what to keep, we'll have a yard sale, then give away what's left I guess.   I admire people that like to go thru "stuff" & prowl around in it.  I like to have my stuff, but I don't necessarily want to mess with it.  Mother isn't sentimental, so hopefully she won't want to keep much.

Changed Jenny's foot bandage yesterday.  Her foot looks good, it's staying dry except, for sweating, which makes it feel icky when we first unwrap it.  But a few minutes under a fan, the foot feels dry, so we can rewrap it.  

The biggest problem is keeping the Hoof Wraps on her foot.  When she loses one, it's usually when she is dust bathing, not sure why that pulls them off, but it does.  Usually the Vel-cro is still closed. There are dusting areas all over the 30 acres, so it's a challenge to find the boots.  They make it so much easier to keep her foot clean, I ordered a couple more yesterday, so now I have 5 of them.  Hopefully they will last until we no longer have to bandage her. 

2 comments:

DesertHorses said...

You can have some of my beans - I had MORE than usual this year.

Tish said...

Thank you for your generosity.......NOT.......!!! LOL We pray every year for a bad crop, so we don't have to stick the fatties in pens, believe me they know when they are being "mistreated".