Monday, April 16, 2007

TULA'S TRAINING

Tula & I are still in training. She's actually doing very good I think, considering her trainer has never done this before. She is getting comfortable enough to stand her ground, when I want to touch her shoulder. Her head is still off limits.........!!!!

She is very protective of her left side. If I come up to her, she will turn around, & get in a corner to protect that side.

I've been using a stick with a towel on the end to desensitize her. That way if she does panic I won't be close enough to get hurt. She isn't really scared, just very protective of herself.

I've been taking the stick, walking around behind her & trying to touch her on her left hip. She accepts that, but if I move around on the left side, where she can see me with that eye, she takes off. Equines are right & left brained, which means just because you do something on one side, doesn't mean it translates to the other side. We're not in any hurry.

In the last few days I've gotten 2 calls from people wanting companion donkeys for their donkey. They both sound like good homes, & I know of a "nuisance" donkey that could use a better home. Maybe he would work for one of these homes. We'll see what happens. I told John we might start taking more healthy donkeys that people want to give us. I think I saw a look of panic on his face.

No comments: