Wednesday, May 20, 2015

CLIPPING DAY..........ALMOST

I finally got my new blades, the ones I'm having sharpened are still in Phoenix.  I was going to clip Quilla yesterday, but we had to take Anubis into Tucson to the vet.  Over the week-end she started acting like she did in January.  At that time they did x-rays and didn't find anything that would make her wobble and whine if you mess with her neck.  At the time they gave her predizone and tramadol and she got better.  We came home with predizone again, they tested her for valley fever but won't find out the results for a few days.  She's doing better, back to eating, but still stumbling around.  If she doesn't have valley fever, guess we'll be taking her to a neurologist.  

So this morning, I got out my toys and started on Quilla.  John put the new blades on the clippers and we had a heck of a time getting them adjusted.  Not sure we ever got it done, I only got about half of him done before they overheated and I couldn't hold them.  That would lead me to believe they needed to be adjusted different than we had them.  My arms and hands are so useless, that between that and the clippers not working very well, poor Quilla looks like a plucked chicken, well at least half of him does.  The other half awaits further attention.  





I don't know if he's ever been clipped before or not, but he stood like it was no big deal.  Well except when I ran across a mat in his armpit.  It was really close to the skin and pretty tender.  So I used the furminator It's hard to tell he's been clipped, although if you look at the ground, there's quite a bit of hair on the ground.  I'm leaving his legs hairy to discourage the flies.

I think next year I will try to find someone that knows what they are doing, maybe it won't be as traumatic for the donkeys and also me..........LOL  There are 3 of them that will have to be clipped every year.   Quilla and Daisy because of the Cushings disease and Coquette just because she is overly hairy.  She isn't really old enough to have Cushings, but perhaps I should have her tested.  Maybe next time I have the vet out on a farm call. 

So tomorrow John will put new blades on for me and we'll see if I can at least get Quilla finished. 

2 comments:

ellie k said...

At what age does cushiness set in? This auto correct spelling keeps correcting me.

Tish said...

It's becoming more prevalent as equine life spans become older. A few years ago the general rule was late teens early 20's. But they are having more and more in their early teens being diagnosed. Coquette is about 7 or 8, but she was hairy when she came here about 3 years ago. Maybe she is just a hairy girl..LOL