Tuesday, August 04, 2015

SOMETIMES LIFE IS A ROLLER COASTER

SOME POITOU IN THIS FAMILY










Last week a woman got in touch with me, wanting a guardian donkey for her 4 goats.  I gave her my usual spiel, that we don't adopt out a single donkey unless there is already a donkey in the family.  When I can't help I usually try to give them a couple of suggestions, look on Craigslist and put an ad up at their feed store, are my 2 favorite.  

I got an e-mail this morning, she went on Craigslist and found a jenny that has been a goat guardian about a mile from where she lives.  I was so excited to find such a good fit for a donkey that needed a home....!!!  YIPPEE....!!

This afternoon the phone rang and the man on the other end wants to find a home for a donkey his wife got from the BLM 13 years ago.  They are moving at the end of the month and can't take him with them.  He is an intact jack.  The man said he would have him gelded if it got him a good home.  Most vets will not geld this time of year because of the flies and the heat.  He should have been gelded years ago.  The man said he's gentle and gets along with other animals including mules.  I guess that means he's never acted like a jack can act.  SIGH!  We are still over full and I have no answer for him, although I took his name and phone number, just in case.  I did go on Craigslist to see what I might find and did find a ad wanting a jack, about 350 miles from here.  Not exactly an answer and why do they want a jack?  For breeding?  Doesn't sound like he's ever bred, the man said he's never shown any interest in his molly mules.  Not unusual for a jack to not breed mares or mollys unless he was raised with them.  But if he's never been around jennies, he couldn't be advertised as a breeding jack. 

So today has been one step forward and another step back in the rescue business here. 

No comments: