Monday, July 30, 2018

PEPSI'S RUNNING PARTNER'S STORY OF THEIR ADVENTURE TODAY

Carol took the time to write down her story of today running with Pepsi.  What a wonderful tribute to a sweet little guy that loves people and obviously is getting into burro racing.  Thank you Carol for appreciating his efforts to please and to enjoy the day with you.  

 


My Epic Adventure with Pepsi (my soul burro)

When Amber, the burro running partner match maker, mentioned that there was a burro without a partner I was so excited until the reality of running 15 miles at elevation with a burro I didn’t know set in. She mentioned it might be a long day since Pepsi was new to the sport and liked to take it easy. I looked up his past results and I figured out what she meant.
All my apprehension left when I met Pepsi. His warm snuggles and kind eyes instantly melted me. He was so willing to walk away from his friends when I took him to my car to load up with my snacks, extra water, and jacket. Coming back from the cars others were drawn to him as well, it could have been Linda’s amazing pack saddle adornments, it was like walking with a burro celebrity. Everyone gathered around him and asked questions. Pepsi loved this which only drew more people in and everyone commented on his athletic physique. He calmly stood while everyone from small children to elderly folks petted him, took pictures, told stories about Pepsi and donkeys they knew.
He willingly went to the start and seemed to have ample confidence in his new sneakers to protect his hooves from getting sore on the rocky trail that we were about to embark on. He was unfazed by the crowds of people and other excited donkeys. When the gun shot he was ready and unlike his first adventure went calmly with me. He trotted at a steady pace and seemed unconcerned about the donkey mayhem that surrounded us.
I huffed and puffed the thin mountain air as we ran up a busy road. He didn’t even mind when I made him walk but then he would eagerly trot when I started to run again. I felt like I had found my perfect running match, humans don’t seem to appreciate my stop and starting. He was better than my dog to run with by far. The beginning of the course varied from road to bike path to rough cut came trail marked with blue and yellow tape along a riverbed. He didn’t even stop to try to grab a bite of grass in the lush meadow.
Our first checkpoint where there were spectators had several people who recognized him from the morning. I was so surprised as they called out Pepsi or honked on the road and cheered, he had gained quite the fan club. He just perked his cute little ears and gave them a nuzzle.
After our second check point we turned on a dirt road up a hill, he was done running! However as long as I didn’t pressure him he walked at a good pace in a straight line, which was much more than several others we saw. We kept up our nice walking pace and casually enjoyed the view together. For most of the way back we walked alone, not another burro in sight. He didn’t seem to mind this one bit and it was oddly calming and nice to just hear our foot/hoof beats.
I got nervous with about 4 miles to go as the clouds got dark and the wind picked up. I talked to him and begged him to hurry a little because I didn’t want us to get hit by lightning. This is when I learned that Pepsi went at Pepsi’s pace and he would go at this pace even if I dragged, encouraged from behind, whistled, yelled “up”, bribed with an apple, or just walked at his pace doing nothing. He seemed the happiest when we walked together side by side.
The last few miles were the hardest, the wind had picked up and we were alone on the rough cut trail in the river bed. He was not really wanting to go fast and my head was aching. I tried to cross the busy road that we started on but then I saw the flags, Pepsi didn’t like this change of plans. He is so smart that he knew the way we came and that is the way he wanted to go but slowly I convinced him to go the other way. We went over boulders and squeezed between a fence and a steep cliff, Pepsi was not sure about this. Then we went along a current mine which was fun and felt very historic. This was when we could see Fairplay and hear the music. Pepsi still was apprehensive but went along with it. I was curious as we kept going down the hill and Fairplay was at the top as to how we were going to get up to the town and then I saw some of the path that was ahead of us, it had loose rocks, big boulders, and fallen trees. I was a little worried about coming across a moose or a bear, I think my brain gets phobic when alone, so I started to whistle and rely on Pepsi’s ears. It was very comforting to be with him. I really doubted if we were going to make it and concerned about little Pepsi and his little legs but he boldly and bravely went through the thick forage, over the big fallen trees after some careful contemplation and then boldly pulled us up the steep loose rock to the top. I was so proud of him!
Once we got to the top we were greeted by spectators who cheered us on! I was so surprised at the amount of people who were still there. We went through the historic old town and people cheered, ringed the bell and tooted the train horn. Everyone cheered “it’s Pepsi”, “congratulations” and “good job”. The gates opened just for us to the last stretch of pavement, lined with people, to the finish line. We had a long time to enjoy this because Pepsi was not going to run but walk his steady walk. It was such a great feeling to have everyone cheer and call his name and a little embarrassing as I was not used to that many eyes focusing on us, but Pepsi didn’t care. When we got closer to the finish line there were photographers there to capture our finish. He walked proudly until he reached that white line and stopped abruptly. The crowd erupted in laughter! He waited for me and then we walked over it together.
After I was so happy to be done. I truly understand where the saying “dragging ass” came from after the last several miles where he needed more encouragement but Pepsi was the best partner and I was very thankful for our time alone to ponder the world. He has an unfaltering positivity and sweet look that couldn’t be interrupted by other burros, my pressure or any other environmental change. He was going to go at his pace and that was that. He was perfectly mannered and the only time he doubted me was when I got anxious or the path changed.
After the race I was exhausted and my head still pounded. I sat on the pavement in front of him and cuddled his head. He lovingly blew on me. My eyes welled up a bit either from exhaustion, the altitude or my new love for my long eared friend. I really respect little Pepsi and decided I wanted to be a lot more like him. He doesn’t care about the world around him or what people think; he just does his thing, is kind to everyone, and nothing can persuade him to change. He is such a sweet little calming guy and I wouldn’t have wanted to run with any other burro that day.


5 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

What a wonderful story! I feel like I was there.

Tish said...

It was a great tribute to her little running buddy, glad she had fun.

Unknown said...

Awww, I got tears in my eyes reading this when the gates opened...such a sweet story!!! I'm so happy I suggested Carol as his partner because I knew she'd be sweet & patient with him!!! Way to go Carol & Pepsi!!!

April Hoskins said...

You two were awesome out there on the trail! Esther and I got excited when we saw you after the turnaround....both with big smiles on your faces. Glad you enjoyed the journey!

Tish said...

Amber, it sounds like you are quite the matchmaker......!!!