Sunday, July 22, 2018

CATCHING UP..........!!

Our great grandson has been out from Tucson for the week.  It's been "interesting" , I know why people have kids when they are younger......!!!  I wish I had half his energy, shucks, I be happy with  10%.....!!!  LOL

His  dad is out for the week-end to take him back to town and I made J.R. a chocolate pie before he got here.  I don't think Hunter has ever "licked the pan" before.  Actually grandpa licked the pan, Hunter got the spoon and one of the beaters.  Less clean up that way......!!  Grandpa's had training....!!



Of course he had to get cleaned up afterwards.......!!

We've actually had quite a few people coming out to see the donkeys lately.  Most of them have been "drop ins".  We like to have people call ahead to make sure someone is here, but if they show up we let them come in and visit with the donkeys.  It's been so hot and humid lately, I'm surprised that they come out at all, but they seem to have a good time, and of course the donkeys enjoy the extra attention.  

My doctoring is down to a minimum, mostly make sure the socks on their legs are up to keep the flies from eating on their legs.  The habronema sores on Boaz and Cisco are healed, Rosie's belly is dry, so basically John and I patrol everyone in the morning after chores to check everyone.  

A few days ago I spent a couple of hours combing, cutting and clipping  on BlackJack.  He doesn't have much of the French breed Poitou in him. But there's enough to make his hair long and very fine.  In hot humid weather his hair mats really bad.  I had clipped his armpits earlier, but as usual life got in the way and it had been awhile since I checked him.  Poor guy was matted just about everywhere and had actually rubbed hair off in a few places.

So I got out my tools and went to work.  He wanted to stand in the sun, which I really preferred the shade of his shelter.  So finally got that straightened out and it went pretty good, some of them had to be cut out, but I've got a couple of good shedder combs that work really well.

His belly was literally covered with mats, so I went to get the clippers, when I came back he had moved back out to the sun.......!!!   GRRRR......!!!  I didn't want to use clippers, where it showed.  His hair is long enough that people instantly recognize he is different than the other donkeys, so I didn't want to ruin his "style"..........!! 




I'm sure he is more comfortable, he sure looks a lot better.  I could clip him in the spring like I do Coquette, but they say the Poitous hair doesn't get as long if you clip them.  I don't know why it wouldn't, so I'll just keep doing it the way I've done it for years.


Heard from Lynn and Linda this week.  Of course they've been up to something.  Last week they look Pepsi, Justin and Quilla out to an assisted living home to visit with the people.  None of the boys have been trained, but donkeys have a natural affinity for children and adults and seem to know when they need to be quiet and cooperative.  Of course Lynn and Linda took the quiet ones, I noticed they didn't take Leo and Loki.........LOL



Pepsi entertaining the people, I would imagine he's trying to figure out how to get to the grass.  Justin's already figured it out.



 

Quilla working his magic...!!




 Justin and a new friend


  Breaktime........yummy.....!!

 Home again, where'd all the grass go?


 Justin, Lynn and Linda planning their next adventure..!!

No comments: