Wednesday, July 17, 2019


Heard from Suzanne, she's got the girls where they need to go and is on schedule to get back Saturday as planned.  We will be leaving Monday to head for Colorado to meet Lynn and Linda's other family and be at the Fairplay Pack Burro Race to root for them and some of our donkeys that will be running.  I'm not sure how many of our donkeys will be running, but they'll have a little rooting section on the sideline.  

Our great grandson Hunter has been here this week.  We usually see him at the races and in fact will send him home with his dad Saturday night.  He might be driving a Bandolero Saturday night if he does good during practice Friday night.  He is 7 years old, which is minimum age for these little cars and will have to listen to his dad or he might not get to drive.  We'll try to go up and watch the practice Friday night.  

John's been having a "Caddyshack" adventure with a rodent in the feedroom.  Our feedroom is concrete block and the only opening is the doggy door.  Well an enterprising pack rat managed to figure out the doggy door and was having a great time in there, tearing up paper towels, filling up on assorted pellets from the pans made up for the next feeding.  He also had a affinity for chewing the bristles off the broom.  We didn't know what kind of critter he was, until John went in at bedtime, flipped on the light and there he sat.  

John set the live trap 2 or 3 nights and and the hairy little critter was tripping it and making off with the ginger snap.  Hunter went out to the feed room yesterday morning and came back in to tell us something was in the trap.  Sure enough there he was, pack rats are pretty good size and he chose to go into the smaller trap, which pretty much filled up the trap.  John rehomed him, he probably beat John home......!!!  LOL  We locked the doggy door and so far the feedroom appears to be rodent free.  Hopefully they won't figure out how to unlock the doggy door.......!! 

I got a call from our neighbor this morning that she was taking her horse George to the vet.  He was colicky and had been for a few hours.  She called this afternoon and said the vet was working with him, IV fluid, tubing him with lots of oil and nothing was happening.  Later on she said they had called and there was no improvement and if by morning there wasn't some change for the good, that it might be time to make a decision.  They suspect mesquite bean impaction, it could also be a twisted intestine, which can only be fixed with colic surgery, neither one is good.  Hopefully by morning she will get some good news.  Her animals are her family.  

We've been on poo watch the last week or so with the donkeys.  There aren't a lot of ripe mesquite beans, but there are beans in their poo, so they are managing to find them.  Trying to control the bean consumption is really difficult.  Once we feel they are eating too many beans, we'll shut the gate to Burroland and until the beans over there are gone or have fallen and turned black, they will have to stay on just the 10 acres.  If we get some good rains after the beans fall, it doesn't take long for them to turn black.  Once they do that the donkeys won't eat them....!! Of course we have as many mesquite beans on the 10 acres as there are in Burroland.  But at least if we keep them on the 10 acres, they don't have quite as much of a selection to choose from.  

This morning Carlos and Nellie came out to "Longears Camp" for a week or so, while their family take a little vacation.  

Mom and dad telling the kids good bye and to be good.  

Carlos seemed to think he shouldn't be separated from Nellie, although they are sharing a corral panel divider, so he started pacing and digging.  We'll probably let them out tomorrow morning before everyone else, so they can get a chance to get familiar with the lay of the land, before the others get out.  Most of the donkeys are so use to donkeys coming and going, they don't pay much attention to newbies, so there shouldn't be any problems. 

No comments: