Sunday, July 05, 2020

FINALLY GOT TO CHECK MACHO MAN OUT

 

Last night I took some pictures of his worst problems



This is his sheath from the left side.  He can't retract it and I have no idea what that growth sticking out is. 



This is the right side





This is his right front leg.  When we picked him up the leg didn't have all this dirt and gravel on it.  The whole thing was just pink scar tissue.  It was dry and smooth.  His pen was soft dirt and dried manure, our pens are small gravel and obviously it is more abrasive than what he is use to.  When he lays down the gravel probably scrapes the scar tissue, makes it wet and the gravel sticks.  The leg is enlarged from the scar tissue and always will be.  Good thing about scar tissue, it doesn't have feeling, so it isn't sore. 

This morning I got out soap, water, rags and was going to clean it up.  Macho is really a sweet boy, but when I started working on his, he decided he would rather be somewhere else.  John had put a corral panel in his pen, to use as a "redneck" squeeze.  He neither leads or follows, so getting him into the squeeze was a challenge, but we finally got most of him in, before he said I'm not going any further..........!!! LOL  He is really good at planting his feet firmly.

Some of the dirt and gravel was caked on and dried, and it would have taken a lot of picking and rubbing to get it off.  So I covered it with zinc oxide, put a sock over it for the day, and hopefully when we go out to feed, the hard stuff will have softened and I can get it off.  I have a covering to put on it, he'll probably have to wear something over that area, all the time.  I haven't seen him lay down, if he just lays down at night, he might not have to wear a cover during the day.  We'll have to figure it out. 

I also checked his sheath, while he was in the squeeze.  The bulb on the end is so large, there is no opening, which is why he sprays when he pees.  I can't imagine what it looks like behind it.  Obviously it works OK, there is no drainage or smell. 

The other 3 are settling in just fine.  They really are nice donkeys and are very adoptable.  But not until they will lead.  Don't know about picking up feet yet. 

2 comments:

Delrene from Carlsbad, Ca said...

What a horrific mess his man part and leg. I know you will get help for him. I've never seen anything so unfortunate. Get well soon. Macho.

Tish said...

He's doing good, loves attention, stands real good for me to doctor his leg every morning. Yesterday morning he put his head on my back when I was doctoring. We'll work on the leg and hopefully when it cools off we can take him to the surgical clinic at Gilbert for a little reconstruction on the other.