Friday, September 27, 2019

I'M BACK............AND WE HAVE COWS........!!!

Not sure what the cows are doing.  Suzanne had told us she had seen 3 cows up by the pen area, a few days ago, while we were on our trip.  She said they seemed quite interested in her feed buckets, rather than eating mesquite beans.  I guess they finally found the open gates and decided to see what is going on in here.  She's actually seen them a couple of times, and this morning they were out by the other side of the pens.  Sure had the donkey's attention, especially Mariah, I don't think her neck or ears could get any longer than they were.  

But are they eating beans, that is the big question.  It actually rained quite a bit earlier this week and soaked a lot of the beans enough they are turning black.  But it looks like the ones that are directly under the trees are protected and aren't changing color very quickly, which is really disappointing, the donkeys are starting to complain about having to stay in their pens.

After the rain, Suzanne took pictures of the pens.  We need to get some gravel to fill in the low spots and  John and I never thought of taking pictures.  Once the rain drys up it's not easy to remember where the low spots are. 
 

Poor little Casper, trying to keep his feet dry



 BlackJack's whole pen was wet, but he managed to find a little bit of ground that was almost dry......!!! LOL



I would imagine Tula is wanting Suzanne to "fix" it



Penny probably won't appreciate having her resting spot filled in


Last time we got gravel we got what the gravel people said all the horse people use in their pens.  But it was smaller and sharper than we want, and it has pretty much disappeared out of the pens.  I've seen a pea gravel, that's about the size of a pea and round, should be more comfortable to lay on.  But I don't know if it is available locally or not.

We had a great time on our trip, drove about 4,000 miles, thru 7 states to John's family reunion in Indiana at his cousin Mark's country home.  What that means is it's far enough out that you can have things like bonfires and fireworks and nobody cares.

I never think of being small, until I'm around John's family........!!! LOL  Years ago, when I was about 20 pounds lighter and built for speed as my daddy said, John's largest uncle who was probably 6'6" or taller and large boned, use to slap me on the back if I couldn't get away, and say "boy you sure can tell you're an in-law".........!!  I use to stand behind a chair, when there was a bunch of them around, so they wouldn't step on me........!! LOL


Cousin Gene, John, me peeking out, and Cousin Mark


We weren't even the farthest travelers, Washington state, Texas, and Florida were all represented.  On the way we stopped in Oklahoma to visit a friend, hadn't seen her in years.  Boy was she surprised when we showed up on her doorstep.............LOL  We had a good visit, talking about old times.  On the way home we stopped in Texas to visit with my BFF.

Lynn and I were thrown in the same yard when we were about 3 years old and haven't seen much of each other over the last 50 years, but we've always kept in touch.  I finally got to meet her daughter.  They live in the country and have a wonderful old farm house.








No comments: