Saturday, June 12, 2021

IT'S GETTING HOTTER...........!!!

 The next week is going to be a scorcher, it's already 110.6* on our back porch this afternoon.  Everything is already so dry, a string of days over 100* isn't going to help the situation, I'm sure.  

People are still coming out to see the donkeys, we had 3 tours this morning and more on the schedule for next week.  

I have noticed the type of flies I'm catching in the fly traps lately are not as numerous and are a different type.  Last week I took down the 4 traps because they were full of flies and replaced them with just 2 bags.  A couple of times a year the bags that are suppose to hold 40,000 flies fill up quickly.  I have no idea who counts trapped flies, doesn't sound like a fun job to me......!! LOL  Most of the flies in the bags had little white round butts, that I think are eggs so the more we catch the better.  

The 2 new bags have been hanging for about 3 or 4 days and just barely have enough flies in them to cover the top of the water and no white butts.  Not sure what all that means, I hope it means less flies to contend with.  The donkeys are wearing their masks 24/7, and that keeps the flies out of their eyes.  But they are still flying around being obnoxious.  

This is a video Mikaela took when Harley and Jackson were playing.  It's hard to catch donkeys playing, if they see you they will stop, like they aren't suppose to play.


 

I'm not sure who is licking her arm in this "selfie", but they do seem to be enthralled with probably salt.  As hot as it's been I would imagine we're all a little salty......!!


Joe and Adam from the Oasis Exotic Bird Sanctuary north of us were here today, in the heat to get hay for their 2 horses.  For years they've come down and got hay from us, rather than from the local feed store.  Not sure today was a good day as hot as it is, but everyone managed to survive.  

The plywood became a necessary accessory when the new hay was delivered awhile back.  It filled the barn all the way to the front and it's amazing how much a donkey neck will stretch when hay is involved.  

They managed to get all their hay loaded with only one donkey figuring out what was going on.  With hay bales there is always fall out, which is deeply appreciated by which ever donkeys find it.  LaRoy was the only one to come out of the shade, to "help", so he really had fun.  

 



6 comments:

ellie k said...

My Mother and sister were raised in Foster homes in the early 1900's. She had a hard childhood but said one home had them kill flies with a newspaper and lay them out on another paper, when they reached 100 they got a penny to spend when the grocery truck came around. She said it was a big day when they got to spend the penny on candy. It took a long time to kill 100 flies even though there were plenty in the days before screens. Made me think of that when you said who counts flies. Praying for rain for y'all and for us. We are so dry people are hauling water for cattle.

Delrene said...

Hope your sweet donkeys and their caretakers do ok. It is getting pretty warm. The. Idea was very cute. Thank you for all you do for these sweet animals.

Tish said...

Well I guess that would be a way to teach the children to save for what they wanted, but a penny for 100 flies sounds a little cheap, doesn't it? LOL I remember when I was a kid spending afternoons swatting flies with a fly swatter, just to entertain myself. Or watching clouds and making animals out of them. Kids today have their phones and have to have something going on. Did you ever make a tractor out of a spool, rubber band and soap? One of my aunts showed me how and it kept me busy for days........!!! LOL

We're all doing OK, trying to not get overheated. Had a couple show up yesterday afternoon unannounced wanting a tour. Thank goodness about half the donkeys were close to the house, but it was still so hot. Everyone else had done tours in the morning, so I drew the short straw. Whew, it was a quick tour........LOL

ellie k said...

Yes I did make a tractor from a spool, a wood spool, now I think all the ones I have are plastic. We also make stilts from a pole with a block of wood nailed on the side and many other fun things we could think of. Kids now have no imagination and can't walk with out an electronic in the front of their face. It is a shame. I am an only child and was thrilled when someone stopped to talk to my parents and had kids to play a little while. We waded in the creek, played kick the can, hide and seek or just run over the farm having fun. A new calk was a big thing, especially to kids from town, little kittens or chickens. I learned to work hard from the start but also to entertain my self if I had free time. Thank you for reading and responding to my comments. L love hearing your news.

Tish said...

Yep I remember all that. Our great grandson is staying with us this summer for awhile. He is 9 years old and really doesn't know how to entertain himself, it's really sad.

ellie k said...

I will check and see if I can find some wood spools in my old thread.